Well it’s 2017 and many of us have set our goals for success this year. Here are a few steps that will help you on your journey.
1. Don’t settle for mediocrity. If you convince yourself that it’s okay to settle for less than you deserve, then you’ll never break through your perceived barriers. Strive for excellence, always.
2. Never stop learning. You will need to challenge yourself, to re-engage your brain and fire up those flickering brain waves. Going back to school may be a choice—however you can gain the same benefits (without the investment) by making a commitment to learning. Read books, take online courses, etc. The idea is to challenge yourself to grow.
3. The process is more important than the end result. The best way to grow is through doing and taking action And while you shouldn’t lose focus of your goals, all of your growth and your achievement is earned during your journey. I encourage you to spend some time researching the idea of the “growth mindset.” One of the best books I’ve come across on the subject is Carol Dweck’s “Mindset: The New Psychology of Success.”
4. Find a mentor or coach. I can’t stress enough how strongly I believe in the power of coaching and mentor ship. I made more gains, got more clarity and learned way more about myself through my coach and mentors than I could have possibly realized on my own. Find a mentor whom you respect and that has experience in the areas you’re interested in. A word of caution: a mentor/mentee relationship is bi-directional. Don’t expect to just take or absorb the value your mentor gives. Put effort into applying the lessons learned and reflecting your experiences back to your mentor. If you do this I promise you’ll get so much more from the relationship.
5. Make a promise to yourself. You’re on this journey for a reason, whether it’s to enrich your life, enhance your career or make an impact on the world. Be honest to yourself about your motivations and make a commitment to take the necessary action. If you do just one thing each day—take one action that aligns with your motivation—you’ll keep that momentum going consistently and you will ultimately succeed.
There are only two ways to grow in life, by the people you associate with or the authors that you read.
May you all have a fabulous 2017 and attain the goals you have set.